- Graduate student wins international sustainability award, (UH Press Release, Ka Leo article) November, 2013
- American Psychological Association panel on Feedback and Behavior, August, 2013.
- Hawaii: A Globally Important Case Study for Energy, Civil Beat, November, 2012
- Hale Aloha residents compete for Kukui Cup, UH Community News, September, 2012
- Lights off, game on: Kukui Cup back at UH, Ka Leo, September 2012
- Hale Aloha residents compete for Kukui Cup energy-saving honors, UH Press Release, September 2012
- Gamification: Green tech makes energy a game, and we all win, Ars Technica, February, 2012
- The University of Hawaii achieves social good, Gamification Roundup, January, 2012
- University of Hawaii: Kukui Cup, Climate Access, December, 2011
- The Kukui Cup: Lights Off, Game On, Jack Johnson Music, November, 2011
- The Kukui Cup salutes Goodwill, Andy South, and Green Fashion, TheGoodWillHunter, November, 2011
- Online game apps spur Manoa student dorm energy challenge, UH News, October 2011
- Students compete to reduce energy use in dorms, Ka Leo, September, 2011
- Perspectives from the Kukui Cup, Philip Johnson. In track “Faculty Perspectives on Students and Sustainability, from Engagement to Empowerment, at the First Annual Hawaii Summit on Sustainability in Higher Education, April, 2013.
- Lights Off. Game On. The Kukui Cup Competition. Holly Allar and Isaac Lupercio, NASPA Annual Conference, Orlando, FL. March 2013.
- The Kukui Cup: Lights Off. Game On!, Philip Johnson, Wetware Wednesday, Honolulu, HI. November, 2012.
- Interview with Philip Johnson and Robert Brewer, (Audio Cast) ByteMarks Cafe, November, 2012.
- Lights Off. Game On. Experience with the Kukui Cup: A Next Generation Residence Hall Energy Competition, Josh Prigge, AASHE, September, 2012.
- The Kukui Cup at the University of Hawaii, Philip Johnson, Robert Brewer, (Video Cast) ThinkTech Hawaii, September, 2012.
- What really motivates behavior change?, Michelle Katchuck, BECC, 2012, Sacramento, CA.
- Makahiki: A serious game for sustainability, Yongwen Xu, BECC 2012, Sacramento, CA.
- Beyond Badges: Gamification in the Kukui Cup, Philip Johnson, BECC 2011.
- Fostering Sustained Energy Behavior Change And Increasing Energy Literacy In A Student Housing Energy Challenge, Robert Brewer, Ph.D dissertation, May, 2013
- Encouraging Environmental Literacy on Campus: A Case Study of the Kukui Cup, Sara Cobble, Hawaii Pacific University, December, 2012.
- Beyond kWh: Myths and fixes for energy competition game design, Philip Johnson, Yongwen Xu, Robert Brewer, George Lee, Michelle Katchuck, and Carleton Moore. In the Proceedings of the 2012 Conference on Meaningful Play, Lansing, Michigan, October, 2012..
- Makahiki+WattDepot: An open source software stack for next generation energy research and education, Philip M. Johnson, Yongwen Xu, Robert S. Brewer, Carleton A. Moore, George E. Lee, and Andrea Connell. In Proceedings of the 2012 Conference on Information and Communication Technologies for Sustainability (ICT4S), Zurich, Switzerland, February 2013.
- Makahiki: An Open Source Game Engine for Energy Education and Conservation, George E. Lee, Yongwen Xu, Robert S. Brewer, Philip M. Johnson, CSDL Technical Report 11-07, January, 2012.
- Makahiki Manual, George Lee, Yongwen Xu, Robert Brewer, Philip Johnson, CSDL technical report, 2012-2013.
- The Kukui Cup: Shaping everyday energy use via a dorm energy competition, Robert S. Brewer, Proceedings of the CHI 2011 Workshop on Everyday Practice and Sustainable HCI, May, 2011.
- The Kukui Cup: a Dorm Energy Competition Focused on Sustainable Behavior Change and Energy Literacy, Robert S. Brewer and George E. Lee and Philip M. Johnson, Proceedings of the 44th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, January, 2011.
A complete list of Kukui Cup research publications is available here.
- 2013 Graduate Student Research on Campus Award, AASHE, October 2013.
- “Interesting Paper” award (invited journal submission), Energy 2013, May 2013.
- Revolutionary Project Award, 2012 Semester of Sustainability, January, 2012.
To begin, this three minute video provides an introduction for general audiences about the 2011 Kukui Cup:
First Login for players
This next video was shown to players of the 2011 Kukui Cup at their first login, and explains the game and why they might want to participate:
Research: Gamification and the Kukui Cup
A screencast of a five minute “Lightning Talk” on the Kukui Cup given by Philip Johnson at the 2011 Behavior, Energy, and Climate Change conference in Washington, DC:
Game Mechanics for Players
The “Secrets of the Kukui Cup Masters” provides guidance to players of the 2011 Kukui Cup:
Education: Power and Energy
This video is one of the first educational videos shown to players, and explains the difference between power and energy:
2011 Workshop: Recycled Fashion Design
A retrospective of the Recycled Fashion Design workshop at the 2011 Kukui Cup
We created several “micro-documentaries” during the UH 2012 Kukui Cup. By “micro-documentaries”, we mean very short videos documenting an event that are filmed, edited, and published (usually to Facebook) within hours after the event occurs. Micro-documentaries appera to increase interest and engagement in the challenge.